Thursday, June 29, 2017

A Good Place

For a decade now I have been writing about my life as a homesteader. What started as a fever dream on a rented Idaho cattle ranch has developed into this home in the mountains of New York. Between then and now are three states, three different farmsteads, and now I am nesting into this little 6.5 acre spot on the side of a mountain.

Back then, everything about farming was new and exciting. A mason jar could get my heart rate up and new chicks at the post office was more exciting than Christmas morning was as an eight-year-old. Over the years farming went transitioned from my dream life to my everyday life. This isn't a bad thing because while highs and lows have come and gone, that love for this life never faded. Ten years later there are new events that still get my heart up. The skills I have collected and worked on keep growing and expanding off one another. If you told the 24-year-old version of me that by 34 not only would she own a draft horse but know how to harness and drive it - she would not believe you.

The farm is in a good place right now. I mailed off the July mortgage and it's June. I know that is normal, but it took a while to get ahead, even by a few days. It's freed up my mind and heart to focus more on planning instead of catching up. Which hasn't really settled my anxiety but has replaced tired fears with more anticipatory adventures. The good news is it isn't anything a nice long run and a sip of bourbon after a hard day can't fix.

Anxiety is part of my life and partially a gift. It keeps me running on just enough extra energy to accomplish things. Now that things are finally catching up to solvent, plumbing is (mostly) repaired, and there aren't cars driving by taking pictures from the bank my nerves are focused on keeping things that way. So I'll keep up the work of offering logos, illustrations, shares of meat, piglets, lambs, fleeces etc. Maybe some of us are just born nervous?

In other exciting news I got the first proofs of the hardcover version of Birchthorn! The book is lovely, cloth bound, and has a nice black jacket. It's being printed shortly now that it is approved and will be in the mail this summer to the backers, followed by the printing of the paperback this fall. I look forward to getting it out to all who supported it.

It's been mild up here. Looking forward to some real heat in the air. I've only been to the river once to fly fish and not swam at all. It's been to long of a spring and now that the Solstice has past and it still is rarely above 80, it makes it seem like a pre-fall before the light is tired enough to give into September. Has me thinking about firewood, which is good. My goal for July is to have a cord stacked and new boots. My recent pair is starting to fall apart from the inside!

Happy to report good news and honest nerves. Excited for the book to be in backers hands and that long campaign finally completed. I hope all of you are excited for this weekend! I'll be teaching archery and tuning up my fiddle.

10 Comments:

Blogger the human said...

You are such an inspiration to me, I hope to carve out a little portion of the world for myself. Not sure how to square regular farm needs with my periodic migraine spells and other bizarre health problems. I'm still catching up on the books, I look forward to reading about the horse and driving, I'm really interested in that too.

June 29, 2017 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger A.L. M. said...

Lord I love your blog!

June 29, 2017 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger Amanda Weber said...

Congrats on being caught up! That has to feel wonderful, and I am so happy for you! I got an e-book copy of Birchthorn and just started reading it earlier this week. I'm loving it so far!

June 30, 2017 at 9:02 AM  
Blogger aart said...

Great post...
....always interesting to peruse the perspective that years and experience offers us.

The book cover is F'in BEAUTIFUL!!
What a great graphic...gives me a spooky chill!!
Excited to hold it in my hands and go back to that place!
Think I have to wait for the paperback.....can't remember.

June 30, 2017 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

When birchthorn hits Amazon, I'll buy it; reason; from Canada, shipping, handling and all that. Good luck!

June 30, 2017 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger sarah e blog said...

Is birchthorn available to any of us non Beckers? Would love to read it

July 1, 2017 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa B. said...

As always, you are an inspiration for those of us on a similar journey. Congrats on being caught up... ain't no better feeling. 😊

July 1, 2017 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Grace in a china cup said...

I have all your books and have devoured them as well as your latest. My question is this: I bought this book on my e-reader when it first came out. Will I need to purchase a hard bound book or paperback copy? Also, do you have more soap I can order? Thanks

July 5, 2017 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger jules said...

Yay! Birchthorn!

July 7, 2017 at 11:05 PM  
Blogger margaret minetti said...

Let me know when I can buy a hard copy!!!!

July 8, 2017 at 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home