Monday, June 19, 2017

Space Coop

I messaged Patty first thing in the morning after chores, asking if she wanted to come and help put together what I have been calling the "Space Coop." She was game.  She said she would be over around 10AM, between the thunderstorms hitting our corner of Veryork all day. I was grateful, since my ability to assemble or build anything is pretty awful. As a carpenter I am a great farm blogger.

But Patty, oh man, Patty has the ability to follow directions and solve problems with grace. Watching her build something from scrap lumber or repair a barn wall is like watching a natural at the cello play a concerto. She just gets it. She can create.  And she can look at directions and make things happen - be it a new pie recipe or a chick brooder made of old glass door frames. It's a gift I don't have and was happy to have her help.

 She arrived between the storms and it took us 2.5 hours and a lunch break, but we got the Eglu Cube built! It is the nicest piece of chicken housing this farm has ever seen. It will be home base for the Silkie chicks, whom I hope to breed in the future. Friends on Twitter have named the head male Falkor. So Falkor and his ladies will be moving into their new digs tonight.

I'm most impressed by how well thought out this coop is. It's built like a cooler, with the same thick, double-walled industrial plastic (cool when hot, warm when cold) - but for CHICKENS! It is vented, with doors to nesting areas and outside pens, and safe from predators and bad weather. It's also mobile. You can easily kick the wheels into gear and place it on new ground. I am impressed. These Silkies get an Eglu Cube and Scratch & Peck Feed - some fancy fowl!

When we took a break from building I got to share with Patty the good news. I called the bank this AM and the farm is caught up on the mortgage for the first time in a long time. Thanks to this weekend and the community here and on twitter I have weeks of work ahead of me. A lot to do and mail, but still, what a relief to be hired by so many people. I am still sending out thank yous and emails as I have time. The power was out for a few hours today, so I will do my best to catch up but if for some reason I missed you - know it is the community around this story and blog that sustains and encourages this farm. Thank you from the bottom of my misanthropic heart.

I'm still here. Still farming. Still going.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ducky said...

I'm so happy to hear that your efforts were successful!

June 20, 2017 at 4:32 AM  
Blogger LoudLenny said...

Great news!

June 20, 2017 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger Mrs Z. said...

So glad to hear that you are caught up and even with the bank. If you haven't yet I would suggest you keep a lawyer in your back pocket. One that specializes in farm foreclosures and how to deal with the banks. Banks and lenders are notorious for sneaky and shady dealings. I had a foreclosure started on my home once. My parents offered to help but the bank upped the anti by demanding more than the original payoff. Just because some one at the bank says you are caught up, doesn't mean that the foreclosure is stopped. They may proceed with it. Get something in writing that the process is terminated. Threaten them with a lawyer if need be. Good luck and happy farming.

June 20, 2017 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger adirondackdreamer said...

congratulations!! people can be incredibly wonderful
just when you need them to be...hopefully, this work
will lead to more and more work as your twitter following
continues to grow:)

June 20, 2017 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger margaret minetti said...

Good to hear your doing so well, fantastic girl keep at it, woohoo

June 22, 2017 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Nice to have handy friends!!! Good luck with the silkies. There was a story done up here on my local public radio station recently about how silkies are winter hardy little go getters.

June 23, 2017 at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home